Encapsulating Locked File Appends

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 08:18:29 PDT 2009

Is there an easy way to write a function, or a function already written for
me, that will allow for a file shared between processes to be appended to
safely?  This should be done in a way that will make it impossible for two
processes to write to it at the same time, using locking, and should be
platform-independent.

Performance does not matter because, in the use case I have, we're only
talking about one update every few minutes.  Simplicity, however, does matter.
 All I'm trying to do is run a simulation thousands of times on a bunch of
different computers sharing an NFS file system and have all of the results end
up in one nice plain text file instead of having each instance write to its
own file and having to keep track of them and piece them together by hand.