dmdfind

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Mar 10 11:20:24 PDT 2009

"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote in message
news:gp4cbd$191p$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Sometimes one remembers a function name or something else, but not where
> it is documented. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do something like
>
> $ dmdfind typeinfo
>
> and simply get a list of the files where it is mentioned.
>
> The output might be something like what one gets with
>
> $ grep -il typeinfo /usr/local/digitalmars/dmd2026/html/d/*.html
> changelog.html
> expression.html
> function.html

Not a bad idea. I'm notoriously bad at memorization so I frequently find
myself searching through the tango source to find something (often, I can
find what I'm looking for through tango's website, but sometimes, for one
reason or another, I end up needing to look through my copy of the tango
src.)

My only problem with this proposed dmdfind though, is that it sounds like
little more than a less-generic version of the fairly standard "Find In
Files" feature of many IDEs (like the one I use). And "Find In Files" could
certainly be made into a command-line util which would be just like the
"dmdfind" but more generic (I don't know enought about grep to know if it
could be configured into doing this instead of just displaying the filenames
as above).

However, given a good command-line "Find In Files" tool, it would be very
nice to have a wrapper for it that would automatically search whatever
standard include directories you have set up for dmd (and optionally your
current project as well, maybe by somehow being tied into rebuild or
something).