Using dmd on older machines

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 11 01:50:37 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> When I compile dmd with the old lib, I tick off 50% of the linux
>>> people who don't have the old .so installed. When I compile it with
>>> the new lib, I tick off the other 50% who don't have the new one
>>> installed.
>
> I hope that was some time ago. If there's no solution, I can live with
> that.
>
> Seems upgrading libc is non-trivial. Now I know.
>
> I was *intrigued* by the error messages, because I wasn't expecting
> anything such. I would've thought that either the source works, or then
> not. What's "wrong"?

The source works just fine. The binaries don't. The new lib distros
don't include the old lib, and vice versa. Often the missing lib isn't
available. It's an ongoing nuisance.

It isn't like Windows, where the basic api's have been unchanged for
nearly 20 years.

Mac OSX is the worst of the lot, there you get a "bus error" if you
build for 10.5 and run it on 10.4.