Using dmd on older machines

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Mar 11 04:56:04 PDT 2009

On 2009-03-11 04:50:37 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> said:

> The source works just fine. The binaries don't. The new lib distros
> don't include the old lib, and vice versa. Often the missing lib isn't
> available. It's an ongoing nuisance.
>
> It isn't like Windows, where the basic api's have been unchanged for
> nearly 20 years.
>
> Mac OSX is the worst of the lot, there you get a "bus error" if you
> build for 10.5 and run it on 10.4.

Yeah, the error message is bad. But on Mac OS X if you build for 10.4
(either by building on 10.4 or using the 10.4 SDK bundled with Xcode)
it'll be forward-compatible with the newer versions of Mac OS X yet to
come. For instance, I can run apps compiled on 10.0 quite well on 10.5,
with no tweaking at all. Seems on Linux if you choose the old lib it
won't run on the newer distos. That looks worse to me.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/