catchy phrase for this idiom?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:41:39 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
> Christopher Wright wrote:
>>
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I'm looking for a catchy phrase denoting this D idiom:
>>>
>>> template Blah(Stuff)
>>> {
>>>   alias ... Blah;
>>> }
>>>
>>> i.e., defining inside a template a symbol of the same name as the
>>> template itself. Then you can use Blah!(X, Y) to mean Blah!(X, Y).Blah.
>>>
>>> What would be a catchy, descriptive, and memorable phrase for this?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Eigentemplate.
>
> My heart fell among my other integrated circuits. Looks like a huge winner.
> Thanks Christopher. Oh boy. I wasn't even dreaming about something *this*
> good.

Kinda not the same thing if you ask me.  Eigen-blah generally refers
to something where you've captured the essence of something better by
representing it using a different set of basis functions.

This doesn't seem to have much of anything to do with that.  Its just
identity or sameness of name.  That's not really what eigen thingys
are about.

But it is what the word "eponymous" is about.

--bb