Updated D Benchmarks

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Mar 16 15:28:08 PDT 2009

Robert Clipsham:
> This looks like the way to go for the benchmarks. When I've added all
> the tests people have sent me and added a reference C++ result I will
> put the results file under revision control with the rest of the source
> code and set up a script to generate graphs to show results over time.

I have sent you an email with several benchmarks.

In the meantime I have seen this tiny C++ Global Illumination in 99 lines:
http://kevinbeason.com/smallpt/
There are other scenes available too:
http://kevinbeason.com/smallpt/extraScenes.txt
It's not meant to be fast, so surely there are ways to write much faster C++ code. But it's short enough, and the results are nice enough (even if slow) that it may be translated to D, for comparison.

To run it with my MinGW I've had to add:
inline double erand48() { return rand() / (double)RAND_MAX; }
and replace erand48(...) with erand48().

The MinGW I use is based on GCC 4.3.1 but I have not used OpenMP, it's used in this code to essentially divide the running time by the number of available cores.

Bye,
bearophile