eliminate writeln et comp?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Mar 17 17:26:16 PDT 2009

Denis Koroskin wrote:
> That's not a very frequent operation. In most cases you should use
> Cout("Hello"); instead. An ideal design solution, imo (fast, short and
> clear).

Interesting. Should I do the same in phobos?

stdout("wyda");

I'd like that particularly because write() is too common a name to place
at namespace level for my taste. So then we'd have:

stdout("wyda"); // no newline
stdout("wyda\n"); // newline but no flushing on binary stream
stdout("wyda", newline); // write'n'flush
stdout.writeln("wyda"); // same

If we go that route I'll even drop writeln and rely on passing newline.
For formatting there'd be stdout.format and stdout.formatln or something.

> Back on topic, in most cases I use:
>
> debug writefln("hello");
>
> because I have no console in release version (and it throws when there
> is no stdout, look in the bugzilla for a bug report). It is already long
> enough, so I wouldn't like it to be even longer:
>
> debug stdio.writefln("hello");
>
> My 0.02 rubles.

Got them.

Andrei