new D2.0 + C++ language

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Wed Mar 18 10:48:55 PDT 2009

bearophile Wrote:

> Weed:
> > I want to offer the dialect of the language D2.0, suitable for use where
> > are now used C/C++. Main goal of this is making language like D, but
> > corresponding "zero-overhead principle" like C++:
> > The code on this language almost as dangerous as a code on C++ - it is a
> > necessary cost for increasing performance.
>
> No, thanks...
>
> And regarding performance, eventually it will come a lot from a good usage of multiprocessing, that in real-world programs may need pure functions and immutable data. That D2 has already, while C++ is less lucky.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Multiprocessing can only improve performance for tasks that can run in parallel.  So far, every attempt to do this with GC (that I know of) has ended up slower, not faster.  Bottom line, if GC is the bottleneck, more CPU's won't help.

For applications where GC performance is unacceptable, we either need a radically new way to do GC faster, rely less on the GC, or drop GC altogether.

However, in D, we can't get rid of the GC altogether, since the compiler relies on it.  But we can use explicit memory management where it makes sense to do so.

-Craig