eliminate writeln et comp?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Thu Mar 19 06:23:44 PDT 2009

Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:47:37AM +0100, Alexander Pánek wrote:
>> This
>> library is available licensed under BSD, which basically means you can
>> do whatever you please with it, as long as you don???t remove the
>> copyright of the original authors.
>
> I think that's an unreasonable demand in a standard library. Incorporating
> BSD code into phobos, any amount of it, requires that every D program
> that is ever written to include their copyright notice, since phobos
> is redistributed in binary form with every D program.

I agree, requiring to include copyright with every binary distribution
is unacceptable for a standard library. But...

Tango is also available under the Academic Free License. Which I don't
understand, despite having read through the ten page explanation of it.
Specifically, you're allow to change it to "any license of your choice
that does not contradict the terms and conditions, including Licensor's
reserved rights and remedies, in this Academic Free License;"

But what does that mean? Which licenses does it include? Does it include
the zlib license? I presume not.
In which case Andrei and Walter's position is entirely justified. If
that is correct, I will cease contributing to Tango.

Someone, _please_ tell me I'm wrong.