eliminate writeln et comp?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Mar 20 05:28:06 PDT 2009

Robert Jacques wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:23:44 -0400, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
>> I agree, requiring to include copyright with every binary distribution
>> is unacceptable for a standard library. But...
>> Tango is also available under the Academic Free License. Which I don't
>> understand, despite having read through the ten page explanation of it.
>> Specifically, you're allow to change it to "any license of your choice
>> that does not contradict the terms and conditions, including
>> Licensor's reserved rights and remedies, in this Academic Free >
>> License;"
>> But what does that mean? Which licenses does it include? Does it
>> include the zlib license? I presume not.
>> In which case Andrei and Walter's position is entirely justified. If
>> that is correct, I will cease contributing to Tango.
>> Someone, _please_ tell me I'm wrong.
>
> No, sadly you're right. According to wikipedia, the AFL is not GPL
> compatible. If AFL could be converted to zlib then you could convert ALF
> source to zlib and it would then be GPL compatible. Q.E.D. Hence, ALF
> can not be convert to zlib.
>
> So far the only other licence I saw without the binary-licence
> distribution problem is the Boost Software License (BSL1.0) (And of
> course the WTFYW licence) And I'm guessing this issue is why they wrote
> a new licence instead of reusing an old one.

The zlib license also doesn't have the binary distribution problem.

The Boost license looks pretty good to me, and they seem to have used
better legal consultation than the zlib license. I also like the fact
that it only occupies 3 lines of source code -- that's much better than
zlib.

Boost, zlib, WTFYW, and public domain, seem to be the only ones which
are suitable for a standard library.