new D2.0 + C++ language

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Fri Mar 20 10:15:35 PDT 2009

Reply to Weed,

> Christopher Wright ?????:

>>> GC is an attempt of optimizing for the uncommon case )
>>>
>> I don't think so. Programmers have more important things to do than
>> write memory management systems. My boss would not be happy if I
>> produced an application that leaked memory at a prodigious rate, and
>> he would not be happy if I spent much time at all on memory
>> management.
>>
> You should use language with GC in this case.

that type of cases IS the normals case

>> And the best manual memory management that I am likely to write would
>> not be faster than a good garbage collector.
>>
>> What sort of applications do you develop?
>>
> games, images processing
>
>> Have you used a garbage
>> collector in a large application?
>
> I do not write really large applications

Small applications are NOT the normal case.

trying to design a language for large apps (one of the things D is targeted
at) based on what works in small apps is like say "I know what works for
bicycles so now I'll design a railroad train".

Yes there are programs where manual memory management is easy, they are generally
considered to be few and far between in real life. Many of them really have
no need for memory management at all as they die before they would run out
of ram anyway.