No -c no main()

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Mar 20 11:37:00 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede:
>In a bigger project, this would result in quite a few main() functions, in several files. People tend to write them for debugging, and then forget to delete them.<

I meant them to be kept, and not deleted.

And big projects sometimes are made of sub-systems that are isolated enough to be sometimes useful alone.

>That would go well with Python being interpreted, and "an easy" language.<

To me now Python3 looks less simple than Java. It has now lot of features.

Steve Teale:

>All should bear in mind that unless this is just intellectual wanking we need to get this language stabilized.<

It will stabilize once it's appropriately dead and buried. Even Fortran and C aren't "stabilized" yet, see Fortran 2008 and C1x:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran#Fortran_2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C99#Future_standards_directions
Here I have seen more than once people talk about D3 and its possible AST macros ;-)

Bye,
bearophile