eliminate writeln et comp?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:29:57 PDT 2009

Fawzi Mohamed wrote:
> after some extra digging
>
> tango licensing:
>
> BSD (and this is the revised 3 clause BSD)
> - is compatible with GPL
> - copyright need to be advertised also in the documentation and binary
>
> a commonly used permissive license (which probably you are using when
> linking for example network code in almost any operating system).
> It does *not* include the original fourth statement of BSD
>
> APL
> - similar to BSD, but with some extra protections against the liability
> of the licenser, in particular with respect to patents
> - these extra restrictions make it incompatible with GPLv2
> - it should be equivalent to apache 2.0 (
> http://www.opensource.org/proliferation-report )
> and so it might be compatible with GPLv3 but I am not 100% sure on this.
>
> In any case the double licensing of tango allows one to use it also with
> GPL code
>
> Fawzi

When was the last time you had to put this in your GCC-compiled programs?

"Portions of this program Copyright (C) Free Software Foundation.  Uses
glibc."

For a regular library, binary attribution clauses are OK.  For a
standard library, it's distasteful [1].  I shouldn't HAVE to worry about
legal issues from compiling Hello World.

  -- Daniel

[1] I've contributed code to Tango under BSD.  If I'd have known about
this issue, I would have made it Public Domain or a license without the
binary attribution clause.