new D2.0 + C++ language

BCS none at anon.com
Fri Mar 20 21:15:49 PDT 2009

Hello Rainer,

> Christopher Wright wrote:
>
>> Games have strict performance requirements that a stop-the-world type
>> of garbage collector violates. Specifically, a full collection would
>> cause an undue delay of hundreds of milliseconds on occasion. If this
>> happens once every ten seconds, your game has performance problems.
>> This is not true of pretty much any other type of application.
>>
> If you spend hundreds of milliseconds on garbage collection every ten
> second, you spend multiple percent of your total execution time on
> garbage collection.  I wouldn't consider that acceptable anywhere.

If you spend a few 0.1ths of a ms every 10 ms on reference counting, smart
pointers or passing around other meta data it's the just as bad. I have no
data but even worse would be, as I expect is true, if non GC apps end up
being architected different to make memory management easier (if so, you
can bet money it won't be faster as result).