new D2.0 + C++ language

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Fri Mar 20 23:59:22 PDT 2009

Christopher Wright wrote:
> I was pulling numbers out of my ass.

That's what I assumed.  I'm a game developer.  I use GC.

> 0.1 seconds out of every ten is a small amount to pay for the benefits
> of garbage collection in most situations.

GC is useless for resource management.  RAII solves the resource
management problem, in C++ and D2.  GC is a performance optimization on
top of that.  If the GC isn't faster than simple reference counting,
then it serves no purpose, because you could use RAII with reference
counting for the same effect.

(No, I don't consider circular references a problem worth discussing.)

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com