eliminate writeln et comp?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Sat Mar 21 08:05:57 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:

> I'm not talking about distribution of the actual library machine code,
> I'm talking about the LEGAL ISSUES.  Tango's license apparently requires
> you to explicitly include attribution for Tango in your program.  This
> means it's possible to naively compile "Hello, World" with Tango,
> distribute it and break the law.

Sorry to use you as the source to enter the thread, Daniel.

Tango DOES NOT IN ANY WAY require you to put attribution into your program.
That is a choice you as a user would make entirely on your own by choosing
to use Tango licensed under the BSD (which is quite possible because this
license is better suited for use alongside the GPL).

However, the AFL does not put such a restriction on your binaries, and
(unless you use the GPL for your code) the AFL is the license most users
should use. This is also noted on the license page (it was probably not
clear enough, I hope it is now).

http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/LibraryLicense

For current or prospective contributors; you are completely and entirely
entitled to relicense your own code to whichever license you wish, however
these should also include the AFL and BSD when used in Tango.

To change the license to something else at this point (for instance to
Apache 2.0 only), would be a major undertaking, but something that we may
consider to do at a later point.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net