Response files

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Sat Mar 21 15:30:14 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Frank Benoit wrote:
>>> Because, imagine you set up a build process for your application. Why
>>> should i have to care about that difference in my 'makefile',
>>> 'rakefile', ... whatever ?
>>
>> I use different makefiles for Windows, Linux, and OSX. It's easier
>> than tearing my few strands of hair out trying to figure out how to
>> remove system differences.
>
> ...NOT.

Well... that's a bit D centric. :-)

'Round here we say "maassa maan tavalla", which is probably something
like "When in Rome, do like the Romans do".

Makefiles aren't just a C(++) thing. Unix has a culture of its own,
Windows (I wouldn't say have a culture, but still) does it another way.
So do we import the Unix way to Windows or the other way around? I'd go
with the Romans in Rome.

If there were a vote (outside of this NG!!) with D users, probably there
are more folks who write in D /and/ in C or another language /on their
own/ OS, than folks who write D apps (big enough to need makefiles) for
both Windows and Linux.