Please integrate build framework into the compiler

BCS none at anon.com
Sat Mar 21 15:30:22 PDT 2009

Hello grauzone,

> I would even go so far to say, that dmd should automatically follow
> all imports and compile them in one go. This would be faster than
> having a separate responsefile step, because the source code needs to
> be analyzed only once. To prevent compilation of imported library
> headers, the compiler could provide a new include switch for library
> code. Modules inside "library" include paths wouldn't be compiled.

Adding that without a way to turn it off would kill D in some cases. I have
a project where DMD uses up >30% of the available address space compiling
one module. If I was forced to compile all modules at once, it might not
work, end of story.

That said, for many cases, I don't see a problem with having that feature
available.