Library for Linear Algebra?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sun Mar 22 01:45:32 PDT 2009

Trass3r wrote:
> Don schrieb:
>> I abandoned it largely because array operations got into the language;
>> since then I've been working on getting the low-level math language
>> stuff working.
>> Don't worry, I haven't gone away!
>
> I see.

> Though array operations still only give us SIMD and no multithreading (?!).

There's absolutely no way you'd want multithreading on a BLAS1
operation. It's not until BLAS3 that you become computation-limited.

> I think the best approach is lyla's, taking an existing, optimized C
> BLAS library and writing some kind of wrapper using operator overloading
> etc. to make programming easier and more intuitive.

In my opinion, we actually need matrices in the standard library, with a
very small number of primitive operations built-in (much like Fortran
does). Outside those, I agree, wrappers to an existing library should be
used.