.NET on a string

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Mar 22 04:50:37 PDT 2009

Cristian Vlasceanu:
> arrays and
> slices seemlessly IN THE PARTICULAR CASE OF THE DIGITAL MARS BACKEND it does
> not mean it is going to work as smooth and seamless in other systems.

It seems that LLVM (and GCC) too are able to support them well enough. I think D was never designed to be a VM-based language, it is supposed to be a system language after all (while dotnet isn't) so it's normal to find some troubles when you try to implement it on a VM.
It's wrong to worsen the syntax/semantics of D just to simplify a dotnet port.

Bye,
bearophile