.NET on a string

Cristian Vlasceanu cristian at zerobugs.org
Tue Mar 24 15:42:04 PDT 2009

bearophile Wrote:

> Can you explain me what are the purposes of D.net?
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

You mean other than the tremendous fun that I am having writing a compiler back-end? ;)

I guess the idea is to help the language catch on, by spreading it (or a dialect of it) to as many platforms as possible.

Other than the above-mentioned levels of personal fun, I am envisioning to lower the entry barrier for experimentation with the language.

The back-end for .net is much simpler than the native code generator (it just outputs textual IL, then invokes ILASM) so it should be easier to understand and tweak.

The front-end is open source (is dually licensed as GPL / artistic) and my .net back-end will be released under the Ms-PL (OSI-certified), so the entire project will be 100% Open Source; people will be able to make changes and redistribute them, and hopefully this will entice even more folks to adopt (or at least give a try to) the language.

Cheers,
Cristian