State of Play

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Thu Mar 26 05:16:56 PDT 2009

Mike James escribió:
> What is the state of play with D1.0 vs. D2.0?
>
> Is D1.0 a dead-end and D2.0 should be used for future projects?
>
> Is D2.0 stable enough for use at the present?
>
> Is Tango for D2.0 at a level of D1.0 and can be used now?
>
> Is DWT ready for D2.0 now?
>

> Regards, mike.

I don't know why a lot of people see D1.0 as a dead-end. It's a stable
language. It won't get new features. It won't change. It'll probably
receive bug fixes. It works. It gets the job done. You can use it and be
sure than in a time all of what you did will still be compatible with
"newer" versions of D1.

D2 is not stable enough yet, in my opinion. It's an experiment. So you
use it just for experimentation. You woudln't write a library for it if
you know that in two weeks some of what you did will not compile anymore.

I see D1 as something finished and working and for which it's worth
writing libraries and tools, because who knows when a stable, final D2
version will be out there. And when it'll finally be here, what? You'd
say it's a dead end because D3 is out for experiment? :-P