State of Play

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Thu Mar 26 07:57:34 PDT 2009

dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from Ary Borenszweig (ary at esperanto.org.ar)'s article
>> When I download a library for Java, Python or C#, I download it,
>> reference it and it works. If I had to fix something for it to work, I
>> woudldn't use it. Mainly because to fix it I'd had to understand the
>> code, and I just want to understand the interface.
>> If you have to modify a library when you download it just to make it
>> work (not to tweak it), that's a huge problem for me.
>
> Agreed, but if the library is being actively maintained, the library developer
> will do this.  If it's not being maintained, well, we do have a lot of abandoned
> stuff out on dource, but I wouldn't want to use a library if noone understands it
> and cares enough to fix a few trivial bugs.

Yes, but fixing bugs should be understood as bugs in the code, some flaw
in the library logic. Not some bug because the compiler suddenly changed.

And as someone mentioned some days ago, D is mostly used by hobby-ists,
so the chances of maintaining a library in that sense are very few.
Specially because it's very boring to fix bugs you didn't caused.