State of Play

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 14:48:00 PDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:27:25 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> what needs to be done:
>>  1. Make Tango build on top of druntime.  I just merged from trunk
>> yesterday, which was about 300 files, so most likely there will be
>> compile issues ;)
>> 2. Const-ify everything.  Some parts are already done.
>> 3. Make all opApply's scoped properly.
>>  Not sure what happens after that, but step 2 alone is a ton of work.
>> In addition, there are some blocker bugs in DMD (1645 and 2524 right
>> now) that prevent a complete port.
>>  When the shared/unshared paradigm is released, there's probably
>> another ton of work to do :)
>
> You can already used shared/unshared. The semantics aren't implemented,
> but the type system support for it is.

But is it enforced?  Basically, I want to focus on one new language aspect
at a time.  As far as I know, with the current D compiler, I can access a
global not marked shared from multiple threads, no?  When shared/unshared
is actually implemented, each thread gets its own copy, right?  It's still
a fuzzy concept to me, and it seems like a waste of time to try and write
code to use features that don't yet exist.  The longer I can put it off,
the better.

The only impact I've seen so far is that singletons in Tango were
sometimes named 'shared', so I had to change the names because of the
reserved keyword.

-Steve