State of Play

cemiller chris at dprogramming.com
Thu Mar 26 15:08:00 PDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:17:04 -0700, Walter Bright
<newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>> One of the breaking changes that I recall was that you made Posix
>> identifier built-in and thus any custom Posix versioning became an
>> error. Not sure if it was introduced in 1.041, though, but it is
>> still a breaking change.
>
> It was more of a build system change, but I get your point. It shows
> that even trivial changes are a bad idea for D1.

Isn't there a very simple way to get the best of both... allow these
versions to be re-set if they are valid for the platform. e.g. still allow
me to -version=Posix on linux, but fail on Windows (ignoring that Windows
can have some posix compliance).

The same could be done for the rest of the pre-set ones. It could also be
an easy way for programmers to enforce compiling only with supported
configurations.