State of Play

Trass3r mrmocool at gmx.de
Thu Mar 26 16:04:12 PDT 2009

Walter Bright schrieb:
> As for the does one develop stable code targeting D1 and D2, I would
> suggest targeting D1 but be careful to use the string alias for all the
> char[]'s, and treat strings as if they were immutable. This will cover
> 90% of any source code changes between D1 and D2, perhaps even more than
> 90%. It's also very possible to write D1 code using the immutability
> style, in fact, I advocated it long before D2 (see all the old threads
> discussing Copy On Write).

Well, using the string alias leads to problems, esp. when used as a
function parameter:
int func(string str)

This makes it impossible to pass a mutable string to the function in D2.

I personally use an  alias const(char)[] cstring;  for most of my
parameters and  alias invariant(char)[] istring;  for normal immutable
strings.