D1.x series proposal [was: State of Play]

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:59:45 PDT 2009

Sean Kelly, el 26 de marzo a las 22:08 me escribiste:
> == Quote from Leandro Lucarella (llucax at gmail.com)'s article
> >
> > D situation is a little different because D2 is already here, and it's too
> > much ahead of D1. So a plan to backport features from D2 to D1
> > progressively should be done.
>
> Who is going to do these backports?

That's a fair question without an answer =)
(I wish I had the time to do it. If I had the time I probably first do it
and then propose it)

> Personally, I'd rather think about moving my code to D2 in one jump than
> in a bunch of incremental steps, each requiring a custom compiler.

Are you? If not, why? I think D2 being a moving target make people don't
want to port code because it would be too hard to maintain. They idea
behind 1.x series is that each minor version is *stable*. Code you port
to, let's say, 1.1.000, will work with 1.1.100. No new predefined
versions, no new nothing. You get a really stable language and one that
evolves fast. You just have to do some minor porting about once a year,
when a new minor version is release, and that porting should be trivial.
Porting code to D2 now is a complicated excercise, at least to do it right
(using constness features).