State of Play

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Mar 27 02:58:02 PDT 2009

Brad Roberts wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Walter Bright, el 26 de marzo a las 16:58 me escribiste:
>>> Millions of open source projects that work that way can prove you wrong.
>>
>> I think part of the problem with the current approach is that the
>> "stable" D releases seem to have no connection with reality.  It's
>> always been way older than it should be every time I've looked.  I
>> wouldn't recommend that anyone use 1.030 right now.  I'd say 1.037
>> should be the most recent "stable" version at the moment.   It seems
>> there isn't a good process in place for figuring out what's stable and
>> what's not.
>>
>> It seems to me the only people who would know which compilers deserve
>> the "stable" label are the folks using dmd on a daily basis to build
>> their software.  Yet I've never seen the question come up here or
>> anywhere else of what version of D the users find to be the most
>> stable.   My impression is frankly that Walter just arbitrarily slaps
>> the label on a rev that's about 10 steps back from current.  Probably
>> there's more to it than that, but that's what it seems like.
>>
>> --bb
>
> Actually it's more like he moves it forward when conversations like this
> come up and point out how far behind it is.  I'm not sure I've seen it
> ever pro-actively moved forward, only re-actively. :)
>
> Later,
> Brad

Yes. I think I was responsible for the provoking two of the three
changes that have occured. I don't like that at all. I think what's
really lacking is a process for declaring a revision as stable. Then,
library developers would need to agree to make sure to verify that
everything works with the last version which is declared as stable.

It'd also be nice to mark in the changelog as soon as a version is known
to be broken, so that more people don't download it.