Signaling NaNs Rise Again

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Mar 27 05:21:42 PDT 2009

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Inspired by Don Clugston's recent compiler patch.

I have appreciated the story at the beginning and I always like the work of Don. Every one that tries to both speed up things and reduce the probability of bugs has my appreciation.

I have to try write some programs with a compiler with such sNaNs, and then I'll be able to tell if I like this feature.

>I tried turning on -Wuninitialized to compile dmd under Linux using g++, and got pages of spurious warnings about possible use of uninitialized variables, every one of which was wrong.<

If you haven't already, then I suggest you to write few small programs with C# on dotnet. My limited experience in it shows me that most of the uninitialized variables warnings it gives are for the better. So for me the situation to me doesn't look as bad as you say.

Bye,
bearophile