Eric S. Raymond on GPL and BSD licenses. & Microsoft coming to Linux

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri Mar 27 08:10:15 PDT 2009

Seems BSD should be Our Way:

[...] has a downside, the downside is that people, especially lawyers,
especially corporate bosses look at the GPL and experience fear. Fear
that all of their corporate secrets, business knowledge, and special
sauce will suddenly be everted to the outside world by some inadvertent
slip by some internal code. I think that fear is now costing us more
than the threat[...]

http://osnews.com/story/21192/ESR_GPL_No_Longer_Needed

Unrelated to this, but interesting, too:

Microsoft Server/Tools boss Muglia said that "at some point, almost all
our product(s) will have open source in (them)." He went on to say that
"if MySQL (or) Linux do a better job for you, of course you should use
those products."

Well I'll be darned. I thought they'd get that like 5 years from now.
(Hmm, maybe everybody should stick to the GPL, after all...)

http://osnews.com/story/21053/Muglia_Open_Source_To_Permeate_Microsoft