Eric S. Raymond on GPL and BSD licenses. & Microsoft coming to Linux

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Mar 27 08:58:03 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:

> Seems BSD should be Our Way

If the attribution clause in the BSD license really does cover
application binaries built containing a BSD-licensed library then it's
pretty much not an option in most corporate environments.  I've tried to
get corporate documentation and legal teams to agree with this in the
past and was unsuccessful, to say the least.

On Don's recommendation I've switched the Druntime license to use the
Boost license instead of BSD.  It's about as permissive as possible
without making the code public domain, and doesn't have any of the weird
problems "public domain" licensed software seems to have both with US
corporate lawyer paranoia and countries abroad with no legal support for
"public domain" copyrights.

It's nice to see ESR coming around about the GPL though.  I don't know
anyone that will go near GPL-licensed source code for exactly the
reasons he mentions.