Signaling NaNs Rise Again

Paul D. Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Fri Mar 27 16:31:37 PDT 2009

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Georg Wrede wrote:
> > Walter Bright wrote:
> >> Inspired by Don Clugston's recent compiler patch.
> >>
> >> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/87vqv/signaling_nans_rise_again/
> >

> > Yess!
> > (And I loved the war story at the beginning!)
>
> It's interesting because it's right before computers moved in and
> replaced everything. If I'd stayed another year, I'd have bought (with
> my own funds) a desktop computer and put it on my desk. I'm sure that
> within 2 years Boeing would have automatically supplied me with one.

Hmmm... I'm trying to recall when it was that Boeing started "automatically" supplying desktop PCs. I know they didn't do that when I started here (1985). I know they first started supplying the office assistants (they were "secretaries" back then) with Wang word processors not too long after I started. I seem to recall my boss getting a  PC at some point. I can't recall exactly when, but it had to be five years or more after that.

I was hired at Boeing as a software engineer (my degree is in mechanical engineering) so I always had access to a computer, but it was always either a computer for the system we were designing or it  was test support equipment. But a desktop computer for general use  didn't occur for a long time.

Paul