[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Mar 27 20:33:03 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Doesn't matter what you're making, OS or not, the choice of language
>> *certainly* carries repercussions throughout a project. Sure Linux is
>> doing fine with C. So what? It could probably be doing a lot better
>> with D.
>
> It's like if you gave the Spartan Leonidas a Henry repeating rifle - he
> still would have lost at Thermopylae. But there is little doubt that one
> Henry repeating rifle is worth a hundred spear-chucking wicker-armored
> immortals.

Sometimes I run these crazy calculations: how much modern firepower
would be just enough to turn the odds in a classic battle? At
Thermopilae, I think two Vickers with enough ammo would have been just
about enough. Also at the Lord of the Rings 2 night castle defense, one
machine gun would have sufficed (better protection and fewer assailants).

Andrei