[OT] [Damn I like how this group goes OT] Re: What can you "new"

BCS none at anon.com
Fri Mar 27 23:46:54 PDT 2009

Hello Daniel,

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I run these crazy calculations: how much modern firepower
>> would be just enough to turn the odds in a classic battle? At
>> Thermopilae, I think two Vickers with enough ammo would have been
>> just about enough. Also at the Lord of the Rings 2 night castle
>> defense, one machine gun would have sufficed (better protection and
>> fewer assailants).
>>
>> Andrei
>>
> You mean the battle of Helm's Deep?  I think you'd need more than one
> machine gun.  If the wall had held and the orcs had been forced to
> come up the front ramp, then it might have been enough... but the bomb
> Saruman gave them took out the wall meaning that you'd have two
> streams of Orcs coming at you.
>
> I reckon a machine gun covering the main entrance and perhaps some
> razorwire and flamethrowers inside the wall from the breech.  That'll
> learn 'em.
>
> -- Daniel

My current martial speculation involves David Weber's Honor Harrington series.
Frankly either Weber is a paragon of literary restraint or he sucks as a
military planner. I can't read his stuff for more than a few hours without
spotting stuff that the characters should be doing. That said; the man Can
Tell A Good Story!