Eric S. Raymond on GPL and BSD licenses. & Microsoft coming to Linux

Alix Pexton alix.pexton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 01:01:47 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:gqj7kh$ll$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> I always thought the "free as in beer" came from this:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Froggy_Evening
>>
>> *shrug* For all I know it could have come from that. But one thing I
>> do know: Chuck Jones is an animation god :)
>
> I attended a lecture by him once. He's also engaging and a very nice
> man. The crowd loved him, and he deserved it.

My interpretation of the phrase "Free, as in beer" is that the beer is
free, whenever it is not your round. When it is your turn to go to the
bar, it's everyone but you that gets free beer. In this context, "Free
Software" is that which is produced by a community where each member
makes a contribution in turn, either trough creating or testing, and as
a result everyone shares the benefit.

A...