[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Mar 28 11:27:38 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>> It's like if you gave the Spartan Leonidas a Henry repeating rifle -
>>> he still would have lost at Thermopylae. But there is little doubt
>>> that one Henry repeating rifle is worth a hundred spear-chucking
>>> wicker-armored immortals.
>> Sometimes I run these crazy calculations: how much modern firepower
>> would be just enough to turn the odds in a classic battle? At
>> Thermopilae, I think two Vickers with enough ammo would have been just
>> about enough. Also at the Lord of the Rings 2 night castle defense, one
>> machine gun would have sufficed (better protection and fewer assailants).
>>

>> Andrei
>
> You mean the battle of Helm's Deep?  I think you'd need more than one
> machine gun.  If the wall had held and the orcs had been forced to come
> up the front ramp, then it might have been enough... but the bomb
> Saruman gave them took out the wall meaning that you'd have two streams
> of Orcs coming at you.

The thing is, there is this narrow ravine leading to the castle. A
well-aimed machine gun would have wreaked havoc at the assailants before
any of them would have reached the wall. Indeed, I think none of them
would have actually gotten to the wall, including the bomb itself.

> I reckon a machine gun covering the main entrance and perhaps some
> razorwire and flamethrowers inside the wall from the breech.  That'll
> learn 'em.

Oh, yah - I thought barbwire would have been an incredibly effective
passive defense. After assailant troops advance through the ravine and
go over multiple layers of barbwire, machine gun starts mowing them
down. Under fire, the barbwire makes it virtually impossible to either
advance or retreat.

This exact scenario happened in WWI, e.g. Somme. The Germans were very
organized logistically and had planted plenty of barbwire. When the
British did the human wave shtick, all Germans had to do was to let them
  advance a little before opening fire. 57000+ casualties in one day
alone...

Andrei