[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 11:46:22 PDT 2009

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Sometimes I think what if I were dropped naked back in time 20,000 years
> ago? Assuming I didn't get promptly cooked for dinner, what technology
> could I deliver that would have the most impact?
> I can't decide between iron, agriculture, or writing. I suspect writing.
> Every time humans got better at communicating, there was a huge increase
> in the rate of progress.
> speech
> writing
> printing
> telegraph
> telephone
> internet

One that noone seems to mention, not only on this NG but in general, is birth
control.  I think a pretty good argument can be made that a major reason for
recent social advances is that, by only having 2-4 children per set of parents
instead of 10-20, parents are able to invest much more in each child than they
otherwise would be.  The end result is a much more educated society and one with
enough surplus resources to look beyond its mere collective survival to actually
improving its state of knowledge, comfort, etc.