[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Sat Mar 28 11:56:21 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
> > Steve Teale wrote:
> >> I should think that 20 men with decent automatic rifles would have
> >> been enough for Agincourt. That way more gentlemen could have laid
> >> abed in England and not felt so guilty.
> >
> > Another battle won by superior technology (longbows).
>
> Well that was more like simple-minded tactics on the part of the
> assailant. Longbowmen can and have been beaten by cavalry; just a little
> tactics is needed. What the French essentially tried was "let's just run
> through as fast as we can". :o)
>
> Andrei

To answer you and Walter at the same time, A) longbows were pretty primitive compared to the bows in Asia, so not superior technology, but used by a crew who were professional and quite bold.

B) Tactics require an examination of the ground, which the French  clearly didn't do, since they advanced into a funnel and got themselves into a traffic jam where they were easy meat for the arrows.

I love military history. All the mistakes we can make now, programming and otherwise, have been made before somewhere on a field of battle.