[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Mar 28 15:26:54 PDT 2009

Don wrote:

> With the Persian longbow, experts were quick enough to fire 6 arrows
> before the first hit the ground. I don't think firearms reached a
> similar firing rate for a long time (for what that's worth -- I'd think
> I'd rather be hit by several arrows than by one cannonball <g>).

The Winchester repeating rifle was definitely a game-changer, but that
was relatively recent (~1875, I believe).  Before repeaters, the only
thing that guns really seemed to have going for them was penetration
power and a comparative lack of skill for use compared to the longbow.
I've seen demos of skilled marksmen with old repeaters that were simply
astounding as far as rate of fire and accuracy are concerned.