[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Mar 28 15:35:39 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:

> Even writing has its problems. What are you going to write on? Bark?
> Animal hides? How are you going to make paper? Ink? A hunter-gatherer
> tribe may find it not worth the effort, and so the writing will not "take".

The Maya wrote on treated Birch Bark, which apparently worked great
until Spanish Missionaries burned all their libraries :-)  Sumerians
used fired clay tablets for writing, and treated animal hides were
pretty popular until relatively recently (Vellum, for instance).
Vegetable dyes would make decent ink, if needed.

The bigger problem with writing is the difficulty in transporting the
books or whatever, assuming a hunter-gatherer culture.  Until
agriculture, I can't writing being used much outside of "graffiti" on
cave walls, trees, etc.  From your date of 20,000 BC, I believe you
predate agriculture by at least a few thousand years (I recall hearing
speculation about Human settlements in the teens somewhere).