[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Mar 28 17:21:36 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> One that I do think would be more lethal is the mounted Gatling M134
> (that Terminator made famous), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun.
> That fires up to 6000 rounds/minute which is pretty crazy. I think a
> salvo of that would have made a trench through the Orcs, the same bullet
> killing or maiming several of them.

MythBusters did an episode where they chopped down a mesquite tree with
a minigun to verify the Predator myth.  Very impressive.

I also briefly wondered why the defenders didn't use anything like
Pitch... other than deference to the Ents :-)  But one underlying theme
in LotR is that only the bad guys use advanced technology.  The good
guys were more clinging to the old ways.