[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Mar 29 09:08:32 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> the story I want to puzzle out is that a group of a few thousand
>> people get dropped on a planet with an indestructible encyclopedic
>> reference, really good geological maps and their birthday suits. I've
>> wondered how long it would take to get into back into space. If they
>> can keep society together, I'd bet it would be under 100 years, it
>> might even be under a generation.
>
> Let's say, instead of just birthday suits and an encyclopedia, they'd
> have a magic box that just doles out any hand tool you can think of
> wishing you had. Oh, and another box that feeds them all. A third that
> keeps them clothed, and a fourth to tend to their medical issues. And,
> they'd be no ordinary rednecks, but all of them belonging to Mensa.
>
> But let's say they aren't NASA engineers, just otherwise smart.
>
> They'd have to start with some serious reading. They'd have to spend
> years figuring out the design of the ship, write the computer programs
> for avionics, fuel control, etc. Then they'd have to design the
> computers to run them on. And the computer programs to design the
> microchips.
>
> Then they'd have to design a chip factory to make the CPUs and other
> chips needed. Another factory to make fuel. A couple of mines, too, to
> get titanium and aluminium alloys, and a few plastics factories to make
> all the plastic parts. They'd need to either develop synthetic rubber or
> find rubber trees, or find a substitute, to make hydraulic tubing.
>
> They'd need some serious expeditions to find what they need, in great
> enough quantities.
>
> Before all of this, they'd need to find out how to create factories that
> make bricks for the other factory buildings, build a power plant big
> enough to run the factories, chemical processes for fuel and stuff,
> mills and forges. They'd need a few hundred Jeeps just to get around the
> planet in search of raw materials, and they'd need to build factories
> for oil well drills, piping, and truck factories for transport of all
> kinds of crap and raw materials.
>
> Oh, and they'd need to not be jealous, adulterous, envious,
> self-promoting, greedy, bossy, dishonest, delinquent, criminal, etc. and
> not treat others with disrespect. Or else half their progress will go to
> all that. (What's -50% compounded annually over, say, 20 years? Get it?)
> Motorola dominated the world of wireless communications, and was a big
> chip maker, only ten years ago. Ever wonder what happened?
>
> (Yesterday I saw a rerun of Bad Boys. That movie is so true to life in
> that anytime something is going down, people just start yelling at each
> other, instead of focusing on the emergency at hand.)
>
> And let's say /all/ the circumstances otherwise are perfect (like no
> earth quakes, no storms, floods, or even thunder).
>
> How many parts are there in a rocket? Not to mention a StarTrek kind of
> spaceship? In the 1970' I was a camera salesman. I saw an exploded view
> [...]

Sorry for the long quote, I quoted this in full because I liked it this
much. It's the best post I've read in a long time.

One thing I'd like to emphasize is that building complex technology is
hard for a small core of people because it's hard to get specialized in
multiple things at once. Think of how long it takes to become expert in
any serious domain... I'm not sure most of us could get up-to-speed in
more than a couple major technologies fast enough to also use them
creatively.

We benefit of many generations who worked before us and created
technology. Even before the exponential elbow of recent times, there was
plenty of technology that we afforded to take for granted.

Speaking of which (damn ranting and subject changing!) I think the
Medieval Ages were a stain on our history. I read somewhere how at the
beginning of that dark time there was actual *loss* of technology: they
had these aquaducts and pumps and mechanisms and whatnot from the Romans
and didn't know how to repair them anymore, so they just let them go
decrepit. Very scary.

When I'll see loss of technology happening, I'll now we're in big
trouble. I hope it won't happen in my lifetime, or ever.

Andrei