[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sun Mar 29 11:34:27 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> I'd bet it takes longer.  Even with incredible knowledge, they'd have
>> to build the technology from scratch, starting with improvised tools.
>
> Huh, 99% of the people will be full time engaged just in food production.

If the people were dropped on another planet, there's not even any
guarantee that it would have the same mineral resources.  And food,
forget it.  People would have to experiment with local plants and
animals to find out what was edible, could be domesticated, had
medicinal use, etc.

There's a lot of really basic knowledge that we take for granted because
our ancestors spent thousands of years experimenting and dying to find
this stuff out.  A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be about the
only truly useful text in such a scenario.