[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Sun Mar 29 13:01:22 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> The problem I ran into is that the audio is mixed with the music about
>> the same volume as the voices, and it almost seems like they applied
>> so effects to the voice audio to make it sound more like they were
>> talking in a big metal room.  In any case, I always had trouble
>> hearing dialog clearly in that show, and often messed with the audio
>> settings on my TV to boost that frequency range in hopes of hearing it
>> better.  That's what I get for not wearing ear plugs all those years I
>> spent at loud concerts, I suppose.
>
> I've been having increasing problems understanding TV dialog, too. It
> sounds like they're mumbling their lines.

It's a conspiracy. You need to turn the volume up to understand, and
meanwhile the entire house hears the bangs and shots, and everybody has
to come and see. Same with commercials (at least around here) they got
the nice idea to send commercials a lot louder than the program, so
everybody in the building (including your freaking neighbors) has to
hear what detergent to buy. #@%!@#!!! I'd say that's harrassment and
trespassing.

Check out any movie from the fifties, and all of a sudden you aren't old
anymore: you can actually hear what they say. Without burning the amp or
your nerves!

I've actually thought of buying a 5.1 sound system, for the sole purpose
of turning everything else down, except the dialog speaker. (The one on
top of the TV.) But I've been too lazy to go to a store and test if it
actually would work. Does anybody know?

@#$@$#!!! And they used to have this logo screen between commercials and
programming, but now they've got rid of it, so when I watch a movie, I
literally have to have the remote in my hand so I can be ready to cut
the volume before everybody wakes up. Technology advances indeed.