[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:42:01 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>> The problem I ran into is that the audio is mixed with the music
>>> about the same volume as the voices, and it almost seems like they
>>> applied so effects to the voice audio to make it sound more like they
>>> were talking in a big metal room.  In any case, I always had trouble
>>> hearing dialog clearly in that show, and often messed with the audio
>>> settings on my TV to boost that frequency range in hopes of hearing
>>> it better.  That's what I get for not wearing ear plugs all those
>>> years I spent at loud concerts, I suppose.
>>
>> I've been having increasing problems understanding TV dialog, too. It
>> sounds like they're mumbling their lines.
>
> It's a conspiracy. You need to turn the volume up to understand, and
> meanwhile the entire house hears the bangs and shots, and everybody has
> to come and see. Same with commercials (at least around here) they got
> the nice idea to send commercials a lot louder than the program, so
> everybody in the building (including your freaking neighbors) has to
> hear what detergent to buy. #@%!@#!!! I'd say that's harrassment and
> trespassing.

It was quite annoying, but I found a solution: don't watch broadcast
television. There are friendly people on the internet who have already
removed the commercials for me.

That said, the only television I regularly watch is Korean starcraft
(with fan-made English commentary, usually), and nobody's going to sue
me for that.