[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Sun Mar 29 15:40:55 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> When I'll see loss of technology happening, I'll now we're in big
> trouble. I hope it won't happen in my lifetime, or ever.

Hi-tech export restrictions are a good start. Forbidding teaching Darwin
in schools. Forbidden encryption software. Forbidden stem cell research.

It's here. There are better examples, but this is not a Politically
Incorrect Forum...

Although it seems to be getting a lot better now, with the change in power.

And nobody can guarantee that the EU and US will outlast us. The USSR
didn't. And simply nobody believed it would disappear within our
lifetime. (One day I stood in the cafe at the top of the WTC, looking at
the sunset. I still remember thinking "I'll be long gone in 50 years,
but this building will probably be here for a thousand years."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manhattan_from_helicopter_edit1.jpg)

Once the big change comes, you can bet your last cent that those who
take over will have a whole new idea of what is good an bad for you.
(Technology-wise, the demise of the USSR or East Germany was no loss,
but that was an exception compared to the US or the EU.)

I really hope nothing will happen while my kids are around.