[OT] [I mean totally OT] Re: What can you "new"

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Sun Mar 29 15:53:05 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:
  Then, to really bugger 'em up, I'd make it law that if there's anything
> in an ad that you can't support with concrete evidence, you get hanged.
>  Enough of this "five out of six fluffy ducks love our toilet paper
> best" or "Australia's favourite" or any of the other bullshit they use.
>  Let's see how eager they are to make stuff up when it's their neck on
> the line...

Oh yes!! Today, I'm having a hard time telling my kids not to lie, while
all the TV ads do is blatant lying.

> They can keep the cannes ad awards, though; if only as a hobby.
>
>> Check out any movie from the fifties, and all of a sudden you aren't old
>> anymore: you can actually hear what they say. Without burning the amp or
>> your nerves!
>
> Probably because it was when they still gave a rats about quality and
> not annoying the crap out of the viewer.
>
> I guess this is all endemic of the media industry these days.  I mean, I
> got so furious with all the bullshit going on that I just completely
> stopped buying/renting movies and music.
>
>> I've actually thought of buying a 5.1 sound system, for the sole purpose
>> of turning everything else down, except the dialog speaker. (The one on
>> top of the TV.) But I've been too lazy to go to a store and test if it
>> actually would work. Does anybody know?
>
> See, I just turn on subtitles.  I guess I got used to them from watching
> Anime with Japanese language and English subs, so it really doesn't
> bother me.

Well, I learnt all my English from watching and listening while reading
local subtitles. I'd hate to turn off the volume.

> Sometimes, I wonder how far above my own the general public's tolerance
> for being treated like cattle is.  Just how far do the media and TV
> companies have to push people before society at large turns around and
> hacks their hands off with a blunt spoon...

Well, if folks download movies and music, the industry sure makes them
have less of a bad conscience. And soon more people will do it, just to
get even with the industry.

Most of my TV watching is either recordings, or time-shift, where I can
skip commercials even when I watch "live".