Eric S. Raymond on GPL and BSD licenses. & Microsoft coming to Linux

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:32:09 PDT 2009

On 30/03/2009 04:42, Mike Parker wrote:

> No, it gives no freedom to developers at all. Using any GPL code in your
> project /forces/ you to open your source. It takes the decision of
> whether to open or not out of your hands and puts it in the hands of
> whomever created the GPLed product you use. That's why you won't find
> bindings for any GPL libraries in Derelict, because then Derelict and
> any project that uses it would have to be GPL. You call that freedom?

all I can say is: huh?
Nobody forces you to use GPL code if you don't like it. Sorry to say
that, but the above is bullshit.
GPL *is a* license. if I write code and license it with my preferred
license, no matter if it's GPL or NDAed proprietary license, if you want
to use *my* code, you need to abide by *my* rules. I am a developer, I
write code, *I* decide under what terms can you use it. that's as simple
as that. don't like my terms? go write your own code or find someone
else that will offer you terms closer to what you want.

if I use some proprietary library in my project which I want to open
source but can't because of that library's license, should I claim that
that library authors are forcing me to have a proprietary license? that
ridicules, I made the choice to use that library therefore I must abide
by the conditions of that library. If I don't like it, I can always
switch a vendor or implement my own.

> I think the GPL is a great choice for executables, particularly those
> that were formerly closed. For example, id software uses the GPL when
> opening their older games. For libraries, though, it severely limits the
> user base. I would never release a library under the GPL, because I
> don't want to restrict anyone in using it. As a library developer, I
> don't care what the end product is, or who the end users are. All I care
> about are those using my product. They are the ones I want to whom I
> want to give the freedom of choice.

nothing prevents you from using free software libraries with your closed
source project, that's why we have the LGPL.
again, no one is forcing you as a library writer to use the GPL, use
whatever license you want. If you really want you can even send a 100$
bill personally by snail-mail with your picture to anyone that downloads
your code, if you so wish.