Declaring Ref Variables Inside Function Calls

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 19:39:05 PDT 2009

== Quote from Bill Baxter (wbaxter at gmail.com)'s article
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu
> > I guess I can't bring myself to dislike tuple(1, 2) in D.
> >
> I'd actually be a heck of a lot happier with that than Tuple!(1,2).
> Especially if using it didn't require any explicit import.
> --bb

Yeah, IMHO, some of the really basic library functions that would be builtins in
other languages should be implicitly imported in Object.  Yes, namespace pollution
is generally a bad thing, but noone in their right mind would name some arbitrary
function max(), map(), filter(), etc. anyhow because that's just really bad
naming.  Given that functions with these names have such standard, well-defined
meanings, trying to use these names for arbitrary functions is only marginally
smarter than trying to name your function after some keyword.

The fact that D can support these features well as libraries and they don't need
to be built in is a good thing, and they should remain as libraries.  It's just
that for such basic, commonly used functions, even the mental burden of having to
remember to import them is too much, and this problem is trivial to fix.