RFC: naming for FrontTransversal and Transversal ranges

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri May 1 03:26:19 PDT 2009

On 2009-04-30 15:57:17 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> As predicted by the "range theory" which predicates that a range will
> never grow, only shrink, slices should always shrink. Growing is a
> foreign operation for a slice. This is a big problem that goes beyond a
> need for purity or cleanliness - it's just terrible to have a slice
> stomping around, and then uncontrollably being rebound elsewhere and so
> on. People pass slices into functions, functions modify them and also
> append to them, and depending on the phase of the moon, some updates
> are being seen in the caller.

I think D slices are a good concept for pointers to a fixed-size array.
If you write new int[4], you're creating a fixed-size array of four
ints, and getting a slice to the whole. If you concatenate it with some
other array, it creates a new one.

As you like to point out, the fun starts when you have arrays of
mutable elements and want to resize them. If you have an array of four
elements and write array.length = 5, then you're perhaps creating a new
one, disconnected from the previous one, and perhaps not. This pose no
problem if your slice is the only one pointing to the memory block,
otherwise the results are rather unpredictable.

Well, containers are no better at that. If you have some slices of a
container and you grow the container you may or may not disconnect all
your slices (unless you're creating an indirect slice as {container*,
int start, int end} or course).

Which makes me think that perhaps we could introduce a unique type
attribute and just forbid growing dynamic arrays unless they are
flagged as unique. That'd make "unique T[]" behave as the container and
"T[]" as the slice. And perhaps we could build that on top of the
concept of uniqueness Bartosz wants to be expressible in D for the

<http://bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/multithreading-with-d/>

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com